Friday, January 15, 2010

Hangin' with Nick

Nick's part of our world now. He's still Nick, and he still has autism--he loves lines, letters, numbers, and hand stims as much as ever. It's not so much that he's changed, but that he is sharing who he is with the rest of us.

He's become social in his own beautiful way. When people he likes come into the house, he'll look them in the eye and say "tickle!" And then they tickle him. No, it's not the neurotypical "hello," but I'd say it's far more cool and interactive.

And he's sharing things with me. He wants me to be part of his experiences. I love it when he takes me by the hand and leads me to whatever is interesting him at the moment, like a ceiling fan. He'll tell me about it in his limited language, "fAn!" with a long, high-pitched "a." It's a conversation, a social interaction, and I love it.

There's so much talk of being cure/anti-cure. One side says we should accept our children for who they are, the other side says we should do all we can to free them from autism. I suppose I found a third space that doesn't fit into that dichotomy. I love my son and embrace all the beauty of who he is, and yet I'm thrilled that he's connecting with the world and will do all I can to help him do it more.

No comments: