Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Empathy

They say that people with autism lack empathy. There's the whole theory of the mind hypothesis that says people with autism have mindblindness--they are blind to the thoughts and experiences of others.

Today Nick proved those theorists wrong.

Nick was in a sensory-seeking mood as he was trying to calm himself down from the trauma of a dog visiting the house (unfortunately the therapy techniques that work for Noah don't work for Nick). And so in his frantic moment he reached for the nearest person--Noah--grabbed him by both arms, and in a split second had bit his bicep.

The bite broke the skin. It was the ugliest Nick bite I'd ever seen and, my friends, I've seen a lot of Nick bites.

I quickly shuffled Nick off to his room and focused on Noah's wounds, making them feel a bit better with band-aids and Bacitracin and ice packs and lots of mommy kisses. Then Nick came out of his room.

I did it mostly for Noah, because I wanted him to see that I treated his brother's misdeeds the same way I treated his, and not because I thought it would register with Nick. I brought Nick over to where Noah and I sat on the floor and had him sit with us. "You hurt Noah," I told him.

Nick looked at his big brother, who was still working to control the sobs, and when he saw the sadness in Noah's face, his face immediately changed to match the sadness. I thought that *he* was going to begin to cry.

"Noah sad," he said with a heartbreaking tone in his voice.

"Yes, Noah is sad," I told him. "Noah is sad because you hurt him."

"Oww, oww," Nick said, acknowledging his brother's pain.

"You need to say sorry to Noah," I said. Nick was silent. "Say sorry to Noah," I repeated.

"I sorry Mommy," Nick said.

And then I had the brothers hug.

****

Six months ago I wouldn't have been able to get Nick to focus on looking at his brother's face. Six months ago Nick wouldn't have been able to speak the words he did today--he was still using PECS cards to communicate.

Those two things are miraculous. But the most miraculous thing is the way he looked at his brother and felt his pain. I've never seen empathy and compassion like that. He saw his brother in pain and immediately he felt that pain, too.

I love the way Nick pushes the boundaries every day, challenging what all the theorists and experts said about what he'd be able to accomplish. He started speaking when they thought he wouldn't. He went from one-word utterances to complete sentences in mere months when others thought it was impossible. He demonstrates compassion when the very term that labels him, autism (derived it from the Greek word αὐτός, meaning self), says he is so into himself that he can't sense the feelings of others.

Ha, take that experts--a five-year-old has thwarted you again.


1 comment:

B-Rich said...

Teary eyed on that one. Amazing!