Tuesday, July 20, 2010

This is what it's like to be loved


I came in to find Noah had settled himself into my room, a little bed of blankets spread out on the floor.

"Mommy!!" he said as he ran to hug me. It's his typical greeting for me . . . I can go outside for 45 seconds to put the trash in the dumpster and he'll greet me with the same excited "Mommy!!" that I'd hear if I'd been gone for five days.

"Are you sleeping in here?" I asked.

In the sweetest, most sheepish voice he replied, "I want to be close to you."

Who am I to argue with that?

He set about arranging the room for sleeping. He got his Lightning McQueen nightlight and plugged it into the wall. Then he tucked me in, making sure I had all my pillows and blankets. "Here's a nice spot for your cell phone," he said, taking it from it's typical home under my pillow and setting it on a shelf right next to my bed. "Oh! And don't forget your night guard!" he exclaimed like a good parent as he brought me the case from my dentist's office. It's supposed to stop me from grinding my teeth at night . . . "supposed to" but I didn't know for sure because I'd never made it a full night with it in. I put the night guard in place and Noah shut off the light.

Even with a visit from an incredibly powerful thunderstorm, I had a soothing night's sleep with my son sleeping on the floor next to my bed, and I didn't even grind my teeth once.

No comments: