Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day Two

It's the second day of resperidone, and again we have a dramatic decrease in behaviors. The only aggression I saw today was when Nick was looking over his brother's shoulder, excitedly watching him play a video game, and something set him off. Maybe Noah had shoved him away or something, which annoyed Nick--you know how brothers can be. Whatever caused, it, Nick tried to pinch his brother, but he did calm quickly after I intervened.
Waking up from his long summer's nap. 

What we did see today was a side-effect: drowsiness. Nick had his morning dose and about two hours later he climbed into bed.

He slept for almost five hours.

And this is a kid who never, ever naps.

I had to cancel two therapy session because I couldn't get him to wake up. I laid down with him on and off during the five hours, in part because I was keeping an eye on how he was doing and in part because, as Joe said when he came into the room to check on us, "You never get to do this." Nick loves to be on my lap, but   he's so squirmy that I never get to gently snuggle him like most moms get to snuggle their babies.

We'll see if he sleeps tonight--my guess is no!

5 comments:

graceunderautism said...

we also experienced this, but it was quickly helped by changing the dose to an hour before bedtime.

Neese said...

Did you have one dose a day or two? Nick's supposed to have it twice a day. I'm so glad it's the summer because I'd hate to send him to school like this. Hopefully the sleepiness will wear off over time.

Martha said...

Sounds like another good day! I'm glad you got to enjoy some snuggles! Thanks for the update. I know it is NOT the same, but when I've gone on various new antidepressants they wipe me out for the first two weeks. Then I usually adjust and feel normalish again. :)

graceunderautism said...

I think we started out with one dose at night to get his body used to it and then 2 or 3 weeks later we added the 2nd dose early in the morning.

Neese said...

I don't think it's all that different, Martha--they are both affect neurotransmitters. I'm glad to know the sleepiness waned for you!

Starting at night then adding in the daytime dose a few weeks later makes so much sense. I wish we'd done that!